2020 has not been a normal year by any stretch of the imagination. But for those who chose to remodel their home this year, they could take comfort in some design trends which are experiencing huge popularity. When it comes to kitchen remodels, these trends incorporate innovative ideas and classic looks, creating beautiful results guaranteed to make any homeowner fall in love with their space all over again.
These are some of the top kitchen trends that we saw in 2020, but this list is just a jumping off point. If you are looking to remodel your kitchen, bath, or another area of your home, let these tips inspire your vision.
Kitchen Design Trends We Love
- Shades of Blue: The 2020 Pantone color of the year was Classic Blue, and for good reason. Blues tend to invoke tranquility and serenity, and are also perfect for a Sarasota beach area home. Warm wood tones and light colored countertops complement these colors especially well, and the hue creates a unique aesthetic for a kitchen space.
- Brass is Classic: Brass is a finish that can be both classic and bold; and whether you utilize for cabinet hardware or light fixtures, makes an undeniable statement. Also used on drawer pulls, faucets and decorative touches, brass comes in satin, unlacquered, or polished finishes. One is sure to be right for your design sensibilities, and to add a bit of shine to your newly designed kitchen.
- Innovative Storage Solutions: One of the kitchen design trends which is also popular throughout the home is a more thoughtful use of space for storage. Designers are getting creative, using vertical shelving, narrow spaces, and “appliance hiding” cabinets to minimize clutter and maximize organization. For instance, imagine a coffee bar inside a cabinet, a dog feeding station built into your kitchen island, or a spice rack built into that under-utilized corner of the countertop. Kitchen remodels are increasingly utilizing space in a whole new way, making this trend one of the most popular in 2020.
- Inspired Yet Functional Lighting: The kitchen requires direct lighting on some occasions, and very little lighting on others. Creating a more functional approach to lighting will allow for your illumination to be perfect for every occasion. You may wish to install functional direct lighting over your food prep area, and ambient pendant lighting over an eating space. Lights installed under kitchen cabinets allow enough light to get a midnight snack without turning on all the lights, while wall sconces can be used to highlight a particular area, such as your backsplash. While the design trends encourage mixing and matching of light fixtures, experts agree that a homeowners should choose a common finish (or other design element) to pull the diverse fixtures together.
- Integrated Appliances: The days of the traditional white refrigerator are long over, and today’s homeowners are looking for more seamless design in their kitchen. Refrigerators and dishwashers which are designed to fit flush and coordinate with kitchen cabinetry allow designers to create a more sophisticated, cohesive look to the room.
- …or Bold Appliances: Some kitchen designers have taken an opposite – but equally striking – approach to appliances in 2020. Ranges in particular are exploding out of the traditional white/black color scheme and are available is a variety of vivid colors. These eye-catching appliances allow for a major pop of color and make a bold statement for those looking to create a kitchen that is sure to impress.
If 2020 (or 2021) is your year to remodel and you have ideas as to how to bring your dream kitchen to life, call Westcoast Design Build. Our professional designers and expert installers are making Sarasota, Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch homes more beautiful, one kitchen at a time.