When it comes to refreshing or updating the look of your kitchen, few upgrades are as transformative as new cabinets. There are many reasons a homeowner may decide to install new kitchen cabinetry, but it is vital to consider just how that installation will take place. Some people think they can save money by handling the renovation independently. Still, experts agree this project is one for the professionals – both to protect your property and your financial investment. Let’s take a closer look at what you can expect when replacing your kitchen cabinets.
Is it Time for New Kitchen Cabinetry?
If you are looking for a way to upgrade your kitchen but are unsure if cabinets will do the trick, ask yourself the following questions:
- Will new cabinets better fit into the overall design and style of the rest of my home?
- Are my current cabinets making my house look older or dated?
- Do I need more space for storage in my kitchen?
- Can I use new cabinetry to organize my kitchen and pantry better?
- Do I want to increase my property value or eventually attract buyers to my property?
- Am I simply ready for a change?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, new kitchen cabinets might be the right choice for you. While you may be tempted to take on this project as a DIY endeavor, there are good reasons to hire a professional. These include:
- Ensuring Proper Assembly: Installing kitchen cabinetry involves specialized tools that many homeowners may not have, and cabinet installation can be complex even with those tools. In addition, cabinets can be quite heavy, making it necessary that several skilled contractors are there for installation. They can handle the heavy lifting and ensure each cabinet is correctly bolted into studs and fits appropriately into the complete set of cabinets. An expert installer guarantees that your new cabinets are built to last.
- Ensuring Safety: We mentioned that cabinets can be cumbersome, heavy, and hard to manage. Homeowners can prevent potential injury by allowing professionals who understand the process to do the job and keep the cabinetry safe from damage if they are dropped or mishandled.
- Ensuring an Easier Clean-Up: You may not think about it at the beginning of a home renovation, but the clean-up can be daunting. Removing the old and installing new kitchen cabinetry can be messy. Still, professionals will take on the responsibility of removing all materials, debris, and old cabinets from the job. Professionals will take care of everything from start to finish and know where to dispose of the removed materials properly.
- Ensuring Quality: Professional Sarasota cabinet installers with years of experience will offer you a quality guarantee for cabinet assembly and installation. This includes guaranteeing a custom fit, ensuring all doors can open fully, and that all cabinets are secure enough to carry the necessary weight of kitchen essentials such as dishes, pots, pans, or small appliances. Be sure to ask about any warranties or guarantees – and remember, manufacturers may void some product warranties if homeowners install the product incorrectly.
Preparing for New Cabinets
Most rooms are not perfectly square, so proper measurement and comprehensive planning are necessary to ensure the perfect fit for your new cabinets. Professional installers know how to work around strange corners, odd dimensions, and uneven floorplans – and even understand in what order to install each individual cabinet to ensure a snug fit.
Once everything is measured correctly and the cabinets are ready for installation, the homeowner and installers will work together to prepare the kitchen area. This preparation typically includes:
- Removing any item hanging on kitchen walls
- Moving furniture away from where the installation will take place
- Moving appliances out of the installation area
- Removing all items from current kitchen cabinets
- Removing all items from kitchen countertops
- Taping, repairing, and priming kitchen walls
Homeowners should also ensure that no other contractors are working in that area of the home and that family members and visitors are not present. However, the homeowner should be onsite to answer any questions that may arise.
Kitchen cabinet installation typically requires between 2 and 5 days.
Need a quicker option? Check out this 1 Day Sarasota Kitchen Makeover.
West Coast Design Build Florida is the area’s premier kitchen cabinet design and installation experts. Call today to find out why so many Sarasota homeowners have trusted us for their kitchen cabinetry installations.