The Home Design Trends Survey conducted by the American Institute of Architects’ recently asked 500 members of residential architecture firms about their predictions for home design trends in 2020 and 2021. 45% of those surveyed felt that an outdoor kitchen would be the most popular home improvement trend in the next several years. This is no news to those of us in the Sarasota area, who have long enjoyed cooking and entertaining our guests outdoors. After all, who wants to be stuck preparing food in the kitchen while our guests are outside?
With year-round great weather, we can enjoy being outside even as the rest of the country begins to close up their backyards for the winter. Still, with persistent sunlight and frequent rain, our outdoor kitchens must be durable and weather-resistant, as well as beautiful.
- Stainless steel has always been a favorite indoors, but it may be even more popular outdoors. Resistant to rust, cabinetry and appliances will stay beautiful over the long haul – although covering them while not in use is likely still a prudent precaution. Commercial grade stainless steel cabinetry is a beautiful option which will keep everything clean and dry while stored outside. Speaking of storing food outside, plan plenty of refrigeration into your design. You can save yourself a lot of time running back and forth to the kitchen if everything you need is at your fingertips.
- Brick pavers are affordable, easy to install, and can be utilized to build stylish and durable additions to a current outdoor patio space or pool lanai. They can also be used to build a low wall around the eating area, to give your landscape structure as well as provide additional seating for guests as they wait expectantly for the food to be ready.
- The grill is the most important part of most outdoor kitchens. Therefore even if you are building the space on a budget, you may wish to make sure that you make a high quality choice worthy of a professional chef. Grills with plenty of cooking surfaces and extra features like a smoking box, rotisserie, warming and grilling racks, a warming drawer, and side burners are essential for those who are serious about their backyard barbeque. A growing outdoor kitchen trend includes integrating a built-in grill as opposed to a standalone model. Not only does it create a more efficient cooking atmosphere, but it looks professional and may save space. Expert Tip: Incorporate a pizza oven to be able to cook many types of food for your guests, all without having to run inside.
- Outdoor kitchens require ample counter space for preparation and to set out condiments, plates, and utensils for your guests. Stylish and functional countertops for the outdoors can be constructed out of flagstone, marble or granite.
- If you are entertaining outside, make sure that you can keep the party going well into the evening. Creative exterior lighting such as soft-light sconces or edison lighting will illuminate your space without feeling too bright, while a firepit provides a natural source of light that also adds to the cozy nature of your gathering. Firepits can be made of flagstone or any natural stone, and may also have seating areas incorporated around them.
The team at West Coast Design Build Florida understands that an outdoor kitchen is much more than a grill and a picnic table. We will help you to bring your vision to life, incorporating all the functionality and beauty you are hoping for.